Is it time to clean out your rain gutters or time to make the costly repairs? This is a common question that many homeowners face when it comes to their gutter systems. Many homeowners keep up on the routine maintenance cleaning of their gutters but sometimes notice that something isn’t right. So how do you determine whether the rain gutter just needs cleaning or if something needs a repair?
For starters, if you notice an excess or build up of debris in your gutters, it is definitely time for gutter cleaning. There are many signs that you may have a bigger issue than the routine cleaning of your gutters.
Is water pouring over the side of your gutter vs. going through the downspout (can be tested with a hose)? This could be a sign that your gutters and/or downspouts are clogged and need a good cleaning. Or, it could mean that a portion of your gutter is “sagging” which gets rid of any slope that allowed the water to get carried to the downspout. Figuring out whether you have an excess of debris will help you determine whether it needs a cleaning or a repair. You can then clean it and determine how water flows through it – if it is still overflowing, there is an issue with the slope/pitch.
Gutters Sagging and/or Pulled Away from the House
The hangers, hardware that secures the gutters to your roof, may have deteriorated over time, may have been spaced too far apart to support the full weight of the gutters, or the fasteners may have popped out of the wood. If your gutters are sagging or pulled away from the house, it is definitely time to repair them.
Leaks and Holes
Is water dripping from the corners of the gutters? Is water dripping from the bottom of the gutter? These may be signs that a hole has been punctured in the gutter material or that the seams on the corners aren’t sealed well enough. If this is the issue, repairs are definitely needed.
When running a hose through your gutter system, does the water remain stagnant inside of your gutters? This could be a sure sign that your gutter is clogged up somewhere and needs a cleaning. It could also mean that if there is no debris present, your gutters are improperly pitched - there is no small slope to carry the water to the downspouts.
Do you have a downspout that isn’t letting out water when its raining? Use the water from your hose to test whether water flows easily from your gutter to your downspout and then out of your downspout. If there isn’t a constant flow, your downspout is probably clogged and needs to be cleaned out.
Signs You May Need to Repair Your Gutters
Most of the time, gutters can be repaired instead of completely replaced. Be sure to check with a professional before taking the leap of replacing your gutters.
1. Visible cracks, holes, and/or rust on the gutters
2. Paint that is bubbling or pealing on or around the gutters or off the house’s siding
3. Accumulation of water near the foundation of the house
4. Gutters are beginning to separate from the house or fasteners are broken
5. Gutters are separating from each other
6. Sagging gutters
7. Standing water in the gutters
Your Gutters can Most Likely be Repaired Instead of Replaced if….
- Any gutter damage is localized to one or two sections. This means you can simply just replace those sections instead of ALL of your gutters.
- There are a few small holes or cracks. These can be cleaned and covered with quality sealant. If the hole or crack is bigger, it may need a piece of metal flashing before sealing it.
- Only a single joint or seam is leaking. This may require some sealant or just some refastening of the gutter joints/ sections.
- Some of the hangers are loose. As long as your gutter hasn’t begun sagging (bending), screwing in the hangers is the best bet. You can use preexisting holes or drill in some new ones.
- If you have a copper gutter, replacement is incredibly expensive. So, if you have a few minor fixes needing to be made, it would be more beneficial to just make the repairs.
Contact the experts today from Gutters Unlimited for more information or a Free Quote on Gutter Cleaning or Gutter Repair services. Our specialists will make sure you have the right services to quickly resolve your issue. We look forward to hearing from you soon!